Sunday, June 21, 2009

city bus. a view after a year gap

I have lived in this city for 24 years.. and from time I was allowed to travel by myself, it was the buses for most of the trips, let it be school, colleges, meeting friends. Never did the trips make me feel crazy until now,after a gap of one whole year, when I had to go to work in this! My office seems to be “well-connected” and so they refused to operate bus services. I call it “cost-cutting”. Whatever. All I can say is bus travel at peak time is a feat!
First day to work, I felt happy. I did not have to “wait” for the bus. The four colored bus had nice new cushions with yellow frames and closing doors (reminds me of CT transit buses minus the AC) and call it Deluxe and charge you double. I say wow. There weren’t many takers when this was introduced. But now it is a desperate need and people don’t mind shelling a few extras. My only offense with the trip was the dry and dusty roads. My bus takes off in full speed, horns all the way and doesn’t stop at all bus stops.
The next day “my” bus did not turn up on time. I wait on and on, and I get the next one on schedule – half hour later. It is a bit more full but I have my favorite seat – the first one from the door. I can read my book today.
The next few days got me into the city mood – not on time, dustier roads, newer horn sounds. I almost doze off at times in the 1hour tiring journey, some crowing cock or sparrow whistles wake me in between..I should say they are the very innovative music sense of fellow passengers. Adding to it are the jasmine flowers, spray painting of pan and tobacco on the sides of windows, coconut oils, garlic flavored lunch boxes, un-cleaned bus floor, neighborhood gossips, movie news, forecasts of tam serials, ring tones from old melodies to crazy frog to classical music to Eminem copied into some Tam fast number. So by the time I get down at my point, I would have learnt a couple of new tunes to hum at my desk.. well, most of the time, I feel quite happy about the bus trip – you get to “see” the people, the dressing “trend”, new tam lingos, of course, read Paulo Coelho and talk over phone, and the best of all, you don’t have to handle the traffic! You just need to be tolerant enough 
And here comes the best, you can’t stand on a 2.5” waiting for the bus; and of course, if the bus is too crowded, its a blessing you have pointed heels to get the foothold, but you might nail someone’s bare foot; and of course you would be towering (yeah I mean it!) over the others and get a nice application of coconut oil over your elbows; So, you wear a local chappal err sandals or in my case, due to lack of both, a sports shoe with a well ironed formal dress – what a dressing sense, boy! or wear a scarf with anything that doesn’t go with the dress or the weather so that there isn’t much damage to the hay-colored hair.. or sweat so much that you don’t get the scent of the deo you put on just 30mins back or feel its time for the second bath!
Well folks, its a experience.. a feat, a risk worth taking if you want to write it to make it memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.